|In Canada, we have many different days that we celebrate.
|On the first day of January, there is New Year’s Day.
|That is when we ring in the new year, and say goodbye to the old year.
|In February, there is Valentine’s day.
|That is the day when you tell your girlfriend or boyfriend that you love them.
|You can buy them flowers or candy, or take them out to dinner.
|In March, there is Saint Patrick’s Day.
|Everyone pretends that they are Irish on Saint Patrick’s day.
|They all wear green.
|Easter comes in the spring.
|Easter is a religious holiday.
|Some people celebrate by going to church.
|Some people think that the Easter bunny comes and leaves chocolate eggs for them.
|In May, there is Victoria Day.
|We celebrate this day in honour of England’s Queen Victoria.
|There are fireworks on Victoria Day.
|July the first is Canada Day.
|In September, there is Labour Day.
|This is the day that we honour the working man or woman.
|In October, there is Thanksgiving.
|We give thanks for all the things that we are fortunate enough to have.
|We usually have a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving day.
|On the last day of October, there is Halloween.
|The children dress up in costumes, and go from door to door collecting candies.
|Remembrance day is in November.
|People wear red poppies, and they remember all the people that died for their country.
|Christmas comes in December.
|Christmas is also a religious holiday, but many children believe that Santa Claus arrives on Christmas Eve in a sleigh pulled by reindeer.
|They believe that Santa Claus fills up their stockings with toys and goodies.
|He gets in and out of people’s houses through their chimneys.
|We don’t get off work or school for all of these days, but many of them are holidays from work and school.
Exercise for this lesson:
- Which day do Canadians celebrate by ringing in the new year and saying goodbye to the old year?
- What is Valentine’s Day, and how do people celebrate it?
- What do people do on Saint Patrick’s Day, and what is a common practice on this day?
- What religious holiday comes in the spring, and how do people celebrate it?
- What is Victoria Day, and why is it celebrated?
- What holiday is celebrated on July 1st in Canada?
- Which day in September honors the working man or woman?
- How do people typically celebrate Thanksgiving in October?
- What do children do on the last day of October, and why?
- What holiday in December involves the belief in Santa Claus and the exchange of gifts?
Please comment your answers!